UPDATE: SURGERY PENDING After getting an Echocardiogram at our local vet, Aurora was diagnosed with severe congenital heart disease, believed to be Mitral Valve Displaysia.
She began three heart medications, but the prognosis was a grim one as there is no surgical intervention for this condition and Aurora would have a limited life expectancy.
Two weeks later, we confirmed that Aurora is pregnant with 6-7 babies, which complicates a treatment plan.
We brought Aurora to a cardiac specialist regarding the safety of medications for the fetuses.
Although pregnancy GREATLY increases Aurora’s risks, it may in fact have SAVED her life. As a result of this specialist consult, it was concluded she in fact has PATENT DUCTUS ARTERIOSIS also known as PDA. The doctor during consult, listened to heart and requested he complete a new echocardiograph. Crew was present for the exam and shown on the screen,
that Aurora’s condition is the result of a valve that SHOULD close off after a puppy is born, but never did.
This valve remaining open, prohibits proper blood flow and in turn flows blood back into the heart valve areas and almost flood it.
Although this has clearly caused damage to Aurora’s heart,
it is possible to surgically fix this.
In her case, it is unclear if it will be CURATIVE as her heart disease has progressed over her 18 months of life! But the chances of a cure are now there, and even if not curative, the surgery will allow for the heart disease to NOT progress which increases her life expectancy as well as her quality of life!
Now this is a very DELICATE case because of the pregnancy. Had she not been pregnant, she would be prepped for immediate surgery.
The doctors are consulting with a THERIOGENOLOGIST to determine if she can have surgery immediately after giving birth or not. We also sent the case to other specialists we work with out of state, to determine the best course of treatment.
Please NYBC FAM, we have some major feats to still hurdle with Aurora, so we are asking you to pray and kindly DONATE!
Update: We have named her Aurora. She presented today with having difficulty breathing and being that she already had an appointment at our local vet for a health assessment, other testing was done including x-rays, heartworm test, plus appropriate dewormer just in case there are fetus pups. X-rays did not prove she had pups in her belly BUT her chest x-rays show abnormalities that are concerning enough to order a echocardiogram. Plus, she does have a heart murmur which the level of severity will be confirmed after her echo. Also, our vet said it might be too early to tell in a x-ray for pregnancy.
This scared little girl who appears as if she may be pregnant and definitely neglected was dropped off at the NYBC facility and we are OUT OF SPACE! We need heroes ASAP!
We don’t know how she is with other dogs although seems non reactive as of now and just frightened.